Ep. 8: The Mammification of a Nation
LISTEN TO THE CREATIVE TENSION PODCAST ON YOUR TABLET OR SMARTPHONE VIA ONE OF THE APPS BELOW.
Listen to this Episode on the Creative Tension Player (Below)
We connect with Dr. Kimberly Wallace Sanders to discuss the “Mammification of a Nation.” Thanks to the Duke Univ. Behind the Veil Project, we also hear 1st hand accounts from women who worked as domestics during Jim Crow. This is part 2 in our 4-part series on the Mammy caricature.
Dr. Kimberly Wallace Sanders, Emory Professor and author of Mammy: A Century of Race, Gender and Southern Memory and Skin Deep. Spirit Strong: Critical Essays on the Black Female Body in American Culture.
Behind the Veil Interviews
- Jessis Lee Chassion - http://bit.ly/2DR3Vb1
- Willie Pearl Butler - http://bit.ly/2nr8rXL
- Cora Randle Fleming - http://bit.ly/2Ddc1L6
Creative Tension is also made possible thru the cooperation of the John Hope Franklin Research Center for African and African American History and Culture at Duke University and their Behind the Veil Oral History Project.
Listen to Creative Tension on:
- Apple Podcast - http://apple.co/2wBqYHb
- Stitcher - http://bit.ly/2gcmfVp
- Google Play - http://bit.ly/2va37xZ
- Spotify - http://spoti.fi/2ydhVbK
- iHeart Radio - http://bit.ly/2h7K69f
- TuneIn Radio - http://bit.ly/2gp6ZS8